Tuesday, Jul. 05, 2022

What is the Federal Work-Study Program?

The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school so that you can help pay your educational expenses. Work-study awards are administered by schools participating in the FWS Program, and the jobs can be either on campus or off campus, allowing you to work for your school or at some type of private nonprofit organization or a public agency. The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students, and ultimately encourages community service work and work related to the student's course of study.

To apply for the FWS Program, first check with your school's financial aid office to see if your college or university participates. If your school does, you will need to fill out a FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and indicate that you are interested in applying for the Federal Work Study Program. The FAFSA is used by the federal government and your college to determine your eligibility for the program.

View more questions, articles or lists.