Thursday, Mar. 30, 2017
Top Gifts to Colleges or Universities in 2015
In 2015, the top five gifts to colleges or universities totaled $1.05 billion. See The Chronicle of Philanthropy's complete directory of recent gifts of $1 million or more made by individuals to charitable institutions.
- $400 million from John A. Paulson, president and portfolio manager of the hedge fund Paulson & Company, to Harvard University.
- $300 million from William H. Scheide, heir to a Pennsylvania oil fortune, to Princeton University.
- $200 million from Stephen A. Schwarzman, co-founder and CEO of the investment firm Blackstone Group, to Yale University.
- $100 million from David Geffen, producer and film-studio executive, to the University of California at Los Angeles.
- $100 million from Jay Robert and Mary Kathryn Pritzker to Northwestern University. Mr. Pritzker is co-founder and managing partner at the venture-capital firm Pritzker Group.